Saturday 4 July 2015

October 2012


Final assembly of one hull. Getting the curve of the back end of the keel panel was tricky. The outer hull panel gives the shape on that side but the keel stringer on the inner hull side had to be bent down onto the tiny transom panel and then shaped to match the outer side.

Where the batten is clamped on the inner side, in the photo below,from the transom to the end of the deck,  I actually had something similar actually screwed temporarily in place to hold the transom in place while I bent the inner keel stringer down into shape, otherwise the tension would have distorted the transom positioning. Somewhere around here I fitted the real inner angled stringer before I glued the inner keel stringer in permanently. Noticeable in this photo is that I had made the deck panel a bit longer than the plans- it extended about 50 mm past the last BH. This was to allow something to clamp or screw to during the forming of this section . I thought it would be handy, and so it turned out. It stayed there till the boat was turned over as I never fitted the plywood onto the sloping transom panel till the boat was turned, either.

The shaping of the slight reverse curve at the transom was scribed across from the outer hull panel and shaped accordingly. I had used a slightly wider stringer on this inner keel panel to allow for the material being removed.

The inner hull horizontal stringer in between was added later, after the above mentioned transom connections were permanent.

 See also the check out for an extra stringer near the bridge deck which did not go in till the bridge deck was in. That stringer was not in the plans but I decided to put it in.





No comments:

Post a Comment